#365volley facts - September
The info campaign #365volley continues! Every day we will post interesting facts from the volleyball world, for 1 year, on our Facebook page. The materials have been researched by the international volunteers Alexandra (Portugal), Azer (Azerbaijan) and Alejandro (Spain) and prepared by Andreea (Romania). Follow us on Facebook to find out more about its history, variations, playing rules and more about this world!
Here are the September facts!
1. Wlazły has played in PGE Skra Bełchatów for over 10 years. During this time, he has won eight titles of Polish Champion (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014) and six times won Polish Cup (2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012). With PGE Skra he won the bronze medal at the 2007-08 Indesit Champions League and also was individually awarded "Best Spiker".
2. He won second place at FIVB World Championship held in Japan. During that tournament he was nominated for the Most Valuable Player award, losing only to Brazilian star Giba.
3. In 2010 he gave up playing for Polish national team because of a conflict with management.
4. In 27 October 2014 he received a state award granted by the Polish President Bronisław Komorowski - Officer's Cross of Polonia Restituta for outstanding sports achievements and to promote Polish in the world.
5. Robertlandy Simón Aties (born June 11, 1987) is a volleyball player from Cuba, who plays as a central blocker. He was named Best Blocker and Best Attacker in the 2007 United States Volleyball Cup, where Cuba finished third. Simon is playing for Copra Volley and reached a maximum height of 389 cm.
6. Simón debuted in the national team at age of 17. He was Cuban national team captain for 5 years. In 2009 he achieved individual awards at 2009 World Grand Champions Cup.
7. You should know: Remember that success in defence depends mostly on how badly you want to keep the ball off the ground.
8. He was the most expensive player in South Korea League from 2014 to 2016.
9. He has participated in national and international events such as: 6 World Leagues, Pan American Games, World Cups, 1 Champions Cup, Central American Games, Norceca.
10. In 2010 he left Cuba and did not play more in his national team. He currently plays for Copra Volley in the Italian Volleyball League.
11. José Luis Moltó Carbonell He was a Spanish volleyball player who also stood out for his great height of 2.06 meters, which allowed him to make the best plays recorded in the history of his career. He won the gold medal at the European Volleyball Championship several times, and he was awarded the title of best blocker repeatedly. The most notable was the crown of Best Blocker of the Volleyball World Cup held in 2007
12. He has eight leagues and three cups, distributed in the different Spanish and foreign clubs in which he has played.
13. He is the second player who has been part of the Spanish National Volleyball Team (after Rafa Pascual), defending the national team in 405 games.
14. You should know: Always think: The next contact is the most important of my life. Never give an opponent an easy ball.
15. At 18 he had his first professional offer. It was offered by Numancia de Soria, which came from winning one of the most important Spanish competitions, the "Copa del Rey''. From there, he started playing in the best teams in Spain and abroad, Soria, Almeria, Paris, Belgium, Italy and Palma
16. Today he is dedicated to being a personal trainer and trains a Spanish first division volleyball team.
17. Misty Elizabeth May-Treanor, from USA is considered to be one of the best beach volleyball players. She helped the USA team snag the gold medals in the 2012 London Summer Olympics, 2008 Beijing Olympics, and 2004 Athens Summer Olympics.
18. Misty Elizabeth May-Treanor won 112 individual championships in domestic and international competition.
20. Misty Elizabeth May-Treanor’s nickname is “The turtle”
21. You should know: When you’re losing 10-0, don’t settle for not being bugled. Think about coming back to win. Maximize your strengths and attack your opponent’s weaknesses.
22. Misty Elizabeth May-Treanor has been inducted to the Volleyball Hall of Fame four years after she officially retired.
23. Misty Elizabeth May-Treanor also participated in two movies: “Take Point” and “Eve” and in tv series “CSI Miami” as herself.
25. Misty May-Treanor and teammate Kerri Walsh Jennings were the gold medalists in beach volleyball at the 2004, 2008, and 2012 Summer Olympics. Together, May-Treanor and Walsh Jennings are considered the greatest beach volleyball team of all time.
26. Kerri Lee Walsh Jennings is an American professional beach volleyball player, three-time Olympic gold medalist, and a one-time Olympic bronze medalist.
27. Kerri Lee Walsh Jennings was named Gatorade National High School Volleyball Player of the Year in 1996, the first time the award was given.
28. For most of her career she played with partner Misty May-Treanor, forming the most successful beach pairings in AVP history. May and Walsh formed a partnership on the beach circuit in 2001, finishing the season with the number five ranking in the world. In 2002 the team reached the number one ranking.
29. Walsh attended Stanford University on a volleyball scholarship. While there she was selected as a first-team All-American four years in a row, becoming only the second player in the history of collegiate volleyball to be chosen first team all four years of their collegiate careers.
30. Walsh graduated from Stanford in 2001 with Bachelor of Arts in American Studies.